The Mountain News-WA has received a message from the Eatonville Family Agency revealing its many programs and its need for food, service, and financial donations.
Here is the newsletter from the new director of the EFA, Alana Smith, announcing the outreach, and it includes many creative and innovative fundraising opportunities, such as Puerto Vallarta’s pledge to share a portion of profits on Wednesdays in May.
The Eatonville Family Agency is the major hunger-relief organization of Eatonville and southeast Pierce County, serving 580 square miles.
Thanks to the money and in-kind donations, 90 cents of every dollar we receive goes directly to help our clients and support our food distribution programs. There are numerous assistance programs and ways to get help from hunger at the Food Bank, Backpack program and the Senior Meal lunch. We provide assistance with utility bills, medical sign ups, health care, clothing, rent, food stamp programs, DSHS services, Domestic Violence, foot care, ARRP driving classes and many other resources. We also enjoy the weekly senior activities such as Bingo, Cribbage and Pinochle games, woodcarving, and the popular Knit and Knot classes.
All of these programs come with a price: picking up bread from our grocery program, sorting and organizing food, writing grants, and managing the mountain of paper work that comes along with federal dollars are tasks we can no longer support by ourselves. We need your help.
Though the Eatonville Family Agency has been in the business of poverty reduction since 1983, what it took to help people out of poverty in the past simply will not work today. Here at the Agency we have begun to focus on building partnerships, facilitating linkages with the private sector, educating, and encouraging innovation that improve the lives of the poor. We are looking for powerful new tools and opportunities to address poverty.
During the month of May you will see an overwhelming response to a call for a needed fundraising campaign by our board members; you can help fight hunger in our community by making a contribution. While this upcoming project may be a fundraising launch, it is just as important to continue these efforts throughout the year.
I have seen a wave of compassion from our community members, churches and businesses since I started as Director here a little over a month ago – neighbors and friends reaching out to help one another. I see ordinary people become heroes through extraordinary and selfless actions day after day.
We need to empower our people so that they can take more responsibility for their own lives, and in turn help others. We have here in Eatonville a spirit of community – a sense that we are all in this together – working to make the” American way of life” real for everyone.
Schedule of Fundraising Events in Eatonville:
1. Now through May 6, purchase unique custom jewelry that you design yourself as a special keepsake from Origami Owl, and a portion of the proceeds go to the EFA. Shop on-line at http://jernigan.origamiowl.com/ and enter jewelry bar code: 68090
2. Enjoy the Taco Bar at Puerto Vallarta Restaurant from 4-7pm, Wednesdays: May 6, 13 & 20, and a portion of the proceeds go to the EFA.
3. Stop by Arrow Lumber from 11:00am-2:00pm, Saturday, May 9, for a community BBQ with delicious Double T hotdogs! Donations will be accepted for lunch and a portion of Arrow Lumber sales that day will be donated to the EFA.
4. EFA Open House at the Community Center, Friday, May 15, 11am-2pm. See our great work in action and learn more about what we offer to our community. Light refreshments and tours will be provided.
5. Neighborhood Fund-Raising Challenge, Saturday May 16. Rally your neighborhood to try and out raise the other neighborhoods in Eatonville! Flyers will be distributed in various neighborhoods around town announcing the event in advance. Designated volunteers will go house to house on the 16th to collect donations. Neighborhood donations will be tallied and a winner will get bragging rights with an announcement on Facebook!
6. Get a pedicure between 12:00pm-5:00pm at the All About You Salon, Monday May 18, and all proceeds go to the EFA.
7. Mountain Physical Therapy, Wednesday, May 20, will be hosting a coffee and bake sale beginning at 9am and going until supplies run out! Purchase delicious baked goods and locally roasted coffee with all proceeds going to the EFA.
8. Join the Aid the Agency 5K Fun Run/Walk & 1K on Saturday, May 30. Kids Dash on the beautiful Bud Blancher Trail. Registration is $25 in advance, $35 day of for the 5K and $15/$25 for the 1K kids dash. Shirts will be guaranteed for those registering by May 15th. Register today at https://www.databarevents.com/aidtheagency5k
9. All month long – Order a personalized wall sign from ME Blocks (available at https://www.facebook.com/pages/ME-Blocks/148231812008501) and all proceeds go to the EFA.
10. All month long – Purchase a coffee card at the Gypsy Wagon Espresso stand for only $10 and proceeds go to the EFA.
11. All month long – Purchase the coffee and donut special at Cottage Bakery and a portion of the proceeds will go to the EFA.
12. All month long – Round up your purchase and donate your change at Kirk’s Pharmacy.
13. All month long – Round up your check and/or make a donation at Bruno’s Restaurant. Bruno’s will match up to $1000 of all round-ups and donations made in the month of May!
14. All month long – Make a donation at Key Bank.
15. All month long – Make a donation directly to the EFA On-Line at http://www.eatonvillefamilyagency.com, in person at 305 West Center Street or mail to PO Box 1764 Eatonville, WA 98328
Watch our website and Facebook page for more activities and events to be added! We thank you for your support and for helping us to continue to care for our great community.
EFA Director, Alana Smith
Hi Bruce! No, I haven’t forgotten about you or your book. It’s just that I’ve been, and still am, on deadline for several things. Your place is coming up toward the front of the line!
Just wanted to give you a quick typo alert and hope you would do the same for me.
“…teh Eatonville Family Agency…
Have a great weekend. I will be out at Matlock on the peninsula at the Old Timers Festival, selling subscriptions and merchandise for Ertel Publishing. You might dig it! Come on out if you can!